Escarole’s inherently bitter flavor pairs well with salt, citrus, and vinegar flavors. Here’s a delicious recipe that packs all three onto one healthy plate!
- 1 large or 2 medium heads of escarole, roughly chopped, then thoroughly washed.
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (avocado or grapeseed)
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 tbsp anchovy paste or a couple anchovies, mashed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- lemon juice, just a splash
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- .Bring the cooking oil to low heat in a large pan. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in the escarole, olives, and anchovies. Cook for about 5 minutes until escarole is fully wilted (till it can’t wilt no more).
- Add the crushed red pepper and parsley and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and splash with lemon juice.
- Serve and Enjoy!