A rich and savory soup that tastes like it took all day… and is done in under 30.
Note on broth: I’ve been so into the “Better than Bouillon” brand lately, so that’s what I used here. I really like that I can preheat the water in the electric kettle and just stir the bouillon into the main pot. If you use another broth, it definitely saves time to heat that on the side while the first steps are getting going.
I used escarole in this version – you can sub in any other hearty green such as kale, mustard, chard, collards.
While you could sub in a different type of rice, the Arborio really soaks up the broth quite nicely!
-3/4lb wine cap mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped (or sub other good soup shroom!)
– 1 large head escarole, roughly chopped
– 1cup Arborio rice (measured uncooked)
– 2 tbsp Better than Bouillon “No Chicken” base + 4 cups boiling water
– 1 medium red onion, minced
– 1/4 cup chopped celery
– 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
– black pepper / chili flakes to taste
– 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Boil water to add to the bouillon (or heat stock in a separate pan).
2. In your favorite soup pot, bring olive oil to medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes. 3. Add in the mushrooms, celery, and garlic. Cook for an additional 3 minutes. Toss in the escarole and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
4. Pour in the boiling water and stir in the bouillon. Add the rice and simmer for 8 minutes. Crush some black pepper on it and serve it up! Enjoy!