Savory garden treats mixed into a sweet batter with a little sauce to dip it in, supper’s up!
Spinach & Scallion Pancakes
with dipping sauce
This is a delicious way to add some veggies into a carb-based staple and call it dinner! Try pairing it with Roasted Pac Choi with Garlic Scapes and a bowl of miso soup for a full meal idea.
If you have a pancake batter that you know and love, just make that and add in the ‘right amount’ of scallions and spinach – like making chocolate chip cookies, you’ll know when it’s right.
For the batter:
-1.5 cups flour
-2 tbsp sugar
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-Between 1 – 1 1/4 cup milk or milk/water mixture
-2+1 tbsp butter, melted
-1/2 cup spinach, chopped
-1/3 cup scallions, chopped
For the dipping sauce:
-3 tbsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
-1 tbsp honey
-1 tbsp rice vinegar (sub white or apple cider vinegar)
-2 tsp sesame oil
-Optional flavors – a pinch of crushed red pepper; a dash of finely diced scallions
1. Combine the fist 4 ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Combine the eggs, water/milk, and butter in a smaller bowl. (Avoid the microwave – preheat your pancake pan on low, put all 3 tbsp butter in to melt; pour off 2/3 of it into your mixing bowl and now your pan is already warm and greased up for frying those cakes.)
3. Add wet to dry and stir to combine; fold in the spinach and scallions.
4. On medium heat, make pancakes – I think you’ve got it from here.
1. Mix it all together. Dip!